Vishal Gupta at askvg.com is giving new Updates about Windows 8 every Day and Heres an awesome guide to Enable Missing Hibernate Option In Windows 8. In all Windows 8 computer systems that I have installed recently, I noticed one common issue! The "Hibernate" option is not available in power menu. We know that Microsoft has removed Start Menu from Windows 8 and now you need to access the power options from new Charms Bar
But the new power menu doesn't show hibernate option. It contains sleep, restart and shut down options only as shown in following screenshot:
In fact if you try to access the classic shut down dialog box by pressing "Alt+F4" keys together, it'll also not show hibernate option in the drop-down list of power options.
The reason behind this move might be the new hybrid shutdown feature. Microsoft has introduced new hybrid shutdown feature in Windows 8 which is actually a combination of hibernate and shut down and makes Windows 8 shut down process faster. It might be a possible reason behind removing hibernate option from Windows 8 power menu.
But hibernate option can be added back to power menu. If you want to get the missing hibernate option back in Windows 8, just follow these simple steps:
1. Press "WIN+R" key combination to launch RUN dialog box then type powercfg.cpl and press Enter. It'll open Power Options window.
Alternatively you can open it using Start Screen or Desktop as mentioned here.
2. Now click on "Choose what the power buttons do" link given in left sidebar.
3. Then click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" link given at the top and scroll down to bottom.
4. You'll notice that "Hibernate" option is unchecked. Enable the option and apply the changes.
5. That's it. It'll immediately add missing hibernate option in power menu of Windows 8 as shown in following screenshot:
A Bonus Tip: As you can see in the screenshot given in step 4, using the same screen you can remove "Lock" option which is shown when you click on your account picture at Start Screen or you can remove "Sleep" option from power menu.